Service Extensions & Assessments

If I Am Interested in Water & Sewer Services, What Should I Do?

If an existing water or sewer line is available, please contact the District’s customer service department for fees and charges. The number is (419) 354-9090, Option 2. You can get a rough idea of the location of existing water or sewer services through our Services web mapping application here — swipe left or right to get to the water and sewer service maps.

If an existing line is not available, please contact the District’s engineering department at (419) 354-9090, Option 4 to discuss options. Extensions of existing water or sewer lines can sometimes be originated through petitions submitted by benefiting property owners. Petition forms are available on our Establish a Service page.

How Does the District Decide to Proceed With a Petitioned Water or Sewer Line Extension?

While the Ohio Revised Code does not specify necessary percentages of support to proceed with a petition project, our Board does seek specific support through public meetings before choosing to proceed with spending money on preliminary engineering and design. The current extension policy requires at least 60% of the benefiting property owners to sign the petition in order for the Board to consider it. If this percentage is reached, the Board may choose to proceed and assess all property owners along the route who benefit. If this percentage is not reached, the project could proceed, but without assessing all owners. In this case, only those residents who petitioned for the project would be charged.

Do I Have to Tap Into the Water or Sewer If a Line Is Extended Past My Property?

You are generally not required to tap into a newly extended water line, though some municipalities may require you to do so. You might, however, still be assessed for the new water line since you now have improved fire protection capability. On the other hand, Wood County Health Department rules do generally require owners to tap into a local sewer line if your “plumbed building’s” foundation is within 400 feet of a public sewer line.

If I Choose to Tap Into a Water Line, Will I Have the Option of Retaining My Well?

Yes, you are allowed to continue using your well for outdoor, non-domestic water use. However, these sources cannot be cross-connected or used for indoor, domestic use. So, in essence, you must have two separate piping systems: one for inside use, the second for outside. You must also have a backflow device installed to prevent cross-contamination of the public water system.

How Much Can I Expect to Pay for a Water or Sewer Line Assessment?

Water and sewer project assessments costs vary due to the density of homes or geography of the area to be served. For instance, excavation through rock is much more expensive than excavation through soil. Water assessments on a single-family dwelling with approximately 100 feet of frontage have averaged between $6,000 and $23,000 over the last few projects that we have done. Sewer projects are generally more expensive due to more complex construction requirements. Assessments on both types of project vary greatly due to an area’s geography, the complexity of the project, the availability of grants, and the number of affected dwelling units.

Can Farm Ground Be Assessed?

Yes, but if the farm ground meets the “agricultural use” definition of the Wood County Auditor, the assessment can be deferred from collection until the property no longer meets this definition.