Bowling Green, Ohio
Nearly 1 trillion gallons of water are wasted in U.S. homes each year from easy-to-fix leaks. That’s why The Northwestern Water and Sewer District (The District) is participating in Fix a Leak Week, March 18 through March 24, 2019, and we encourage you to join us.
Sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) WaterSense® program, Fix a Leak Week is an opportunity to improve the water efficiency of your home by finding and fixing leaks. In the average home, household leaks waste more than 10,000 gallons of water each year. That’s the amount of water needed to wash 270 loads of laundry!
Here’s how to identify leaks around your home:
- Monitor your water use on your phone or laptop with AquaHawk. You can also sign up to receive notifications on your phone or email for high use! The best part is it’s FREE!
- Read your water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter changes at all, you probably have a leak.
- The Winter months are the prime time to check water use and see if you may have a leak. If a family of four exceeds 12,000 gallons per month in the winter, you probably have leaks!
Here’s how you can address leaks found at home:
- Check for leaks. Look for dripping faucets, showerheads, sprinklers, and other fixtures. Also, check for toilets with silent leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring into the tank and seeing if it appears in the bowl before you flush. Don’t forget to check irrigation systems and spigots too.
- Twist and tighten hose and pipe connections. To save more water without a noticeable difference in flow in your bathroom faucet, a twist on a WaterSense labeled faucet aerator.
- Replace the fixture if necessary. Look for WaterSense labeled models, which are independently certified to use 20 percent less water and perform as well as or better than standard models.
As a WaterSense partner concerned with preserving our nation’s water supply, The District can help you learn more. We encourage all District customers to sign up for leak alerts and high usage notifications with AquaHawk. These alerts are FREE and could help you avoid high water bills due to leaks.
Mark your calendar: Fix a Leak Week is from March 18 through March 24, 2019. Grab a wrench or contact your favorite handyperson, plumber, or certified irrigation professional to address leaking toilets, faucets, showerheads, and irrigation systems around your home.