Water Service Rules

The District contracts with local water providers to supply water throughout Wood County. This section provides general information and technical specifications for customers, contractors, and plumbers who wish to obtain water or sewer services or change existing services.

Our staff is available to help you through each step of the process and will provide clarification of any of the items discussed in our Standards and Procedures. If there is something we can assist you with, please call us at (419) 354-9090.

General Water Service Rules

Owner/Customer’s Responsibility

The service line from the meter pit to the premises is the sole responsibility of the property owner. We recommend that the service lines be buried at a minimum of 48 inches to prevent freezing.

Prior to receiving water service, the owner/customer must:

  1. Pay application and tapping fees at the District’s Operations Facility located at 12560 Middleton Pike (The customer may also be required to sign a pre-annexation agreement if they are in the Bowling Green water area as a condition of receiving water service)
  2. Hire a contractor/plumber to install your service line – The homeowner may install the service line, but this department will hook up meter pit, provided the service line is installed prior to the water tap – Otherwise, a plumber shall be hired at the owner’s expense to make the connection
  3. Call the District Office ((419) 354-9090, or (877) 354-9090) and let us know you are ready for the tap, or to have the meter set and water turned on. We ask for a 48-hour notice
  4. Disconnect existing well water system being used from the indoor plumbing at time of turn-on
  5. Have a recorded address visible from the street

When obtaining a permit for service, the customer must advise the District of the necessary size of the service line and meter size required to adequately serve the premises. If larger than a 1" line or larger than a 5/8" meter, the size of the service line and meter requested by the customer will be subject to approval by the District Engineer or Superintendent. All meter pits requiring up to a 2 inch meter will be required to be located at the road right-of-way in most cases.

The owner is responsible for contacting the Ohio Underground Protection Service (O.U.P.S.) 48 hours (2 business days) prior to digging the customer’s service line. The O.U.P.S. telephone number is (800) 362-2764.

District’s Responsibility

The District or its Agent will make the necessary tap. The District will furnish, install, and maintain the service main extending from the District’s water main to the curb stop and/or meter pit. The owner may be charged for additional parts if a larger line or wrong type of pipe/connectors is used or if the crossing (bore) is longer than 60 feet. Homeowners whose taps require road bores over 60 feet will be charged an additional footage fee.

General Rules

1. Cross Connection Control

When a customer maintains a well or other water source, no internal or external plumbing will cross-connect with the District water supply system. Due to health concerns, all plumbing for each water source must be maintained separately. Furthermore, the District will not allow water for inside use other than water provided by the District. A well can be used for outside water, i.e., outside yard hydrant, seat cock, etc.

When any cross-connections are found, the District reserves the right to immediately shut off, without notice, the water service to the Customer. Service will not be re-established until the condition is corrected to the satisfaction of the District.

When the District furnishes the meter pit, a double-check valve has already been installed inside the pit. Commercial, industrial, and some residential services will require an evaluation of the protective device required, taking into account the degree of hazard involved as determined by the District.

2. Expansion Chambers

The water system within your home is completely sealed off from the distribution main by the backflow preventer (check valve, closed system). Internal pressure build-up can occur within your home if surge protection and expansion chambers are not installed. Consult with your plumber for acceptable prevention methods to prevent this pressure build-up.

3. Pressure-Reducing Valves

Pressure-reducing valves may be necessary on the customer’s service line. This valve should be installed by your contractor or plumber. The District’s operating water pressure may exceed 70 to 75 p.s.i.

4. Access to Premises

A representative or employee of the District, with proper identification, shall at all reasonable hours, and with prior notification, have access to the premises of the customer to examine pipes, meters, connections, and other appurtenances involving the District’s water supply for the purpose of examining, replacing, repairing or removing any meter, piping, instrument or connection that is part of the District’s water system.

5. Billing

Billing will be in the property owner’s name, unless prior authorization has been granted, and will begin with the date the meter is turned on. The property owner will be responsible for all water and sewer charges even if a service is in a renter’s name. The monthly or quarterly minimum charges will be billed using the current, approved rate schedule and is determined by the size of the water meter installed. (A copy of the rate schedule is available upon request.)

Failure to receive a bill will not entitle the customer to be released from charges or payment of fees. If the water meter stops or fails to register the full amount of water consumed, the customer will be billed an estimated usage based upon the customer’s normal use of water in a similar billing period.

6. District Liability

The District will use reasonable diligence in supplying a regular and uninterrupted supply of water, but shall not be liable for damages if the supply should be interrupted or fail. In the interest of public safety and convenience, all persons performing thawing services with electrical devices and equipment on water service pipes or conduits connected to the District Distribution System shall strictly observe the following practices and procedures:

  1. Whenever and wherever electrical energy, alternating or direct current, is to be used for thawing pipes and conduits physically connected to the lines, pipes, and conduits of the District Water Distribution System, the District shall be notified immediately.
  2. No work on said pipes or conduits shall be performed until after the District personnel have physically disconnected or isolated from the house piping, the section of pipe conduit to be energized.
  3. The District shall be notified immediately upon completion of the work so service to the customer may be restored as quickly as possible.

Reinstatement of service after normal working hours will be charged at the District’s overtime rates. A copy of these charges is available upon request.

Customer’s Liability

The Customer is defined as the property owner since the property owner is, according to law, responsible for payment of all bills and is the owner of the necessary piping and connections between the curb stop and/or meter pit and their residence.

The Customer shall be financially responsible for any tampering, interfering with or breaking of the seals of meters or other equipment of the District. The customer will be held liable, including any illegal diversion of water according to law.

The Customer agrees that no one except employees of the District or Agent shall be allowed to make internal or external adjustments of any meter or any other piece of apparatus that is the property of the District.

Only employees of the District or its Agent shall have the authority to turn the water service on or off at the curb stop and/or meter pit. No other person shall be permitted to turn such water on or off without having authorization or a permit from the District in every instance. Any illegal tampering of this type may be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Emergency Call Service

Any calls received after the normal working hours (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) that are determined by the District to be the "Customer’s Area of Responsibility," may be charged based on our overtime rate to the customer/property owner.


To reduce misunderstandings, the following definitions are presented for the benefit of current, as well as future, water customers, builders and developers.

Water Service Line

The portion of water piping system located between the District’s Water Distribution Main (tap) and the curb stop or meter pit. This portion of piping is furnished according to the tapping fee schedule and installed by the District.

Customer Service Line

That portion of water piping system located at the discharge side of the meter pit or curb stop. This portion of piping is furnished and installed by the customer, builder or developer. Any substitute materials may require additional cost or fittings by the customer. In no event shall any other type of piping material be allowed except, "Type K-Soft Copper," High Density Polyethylene, or approved equal. In such case, the District reserves the right to determine such acceptable substitutes. 1 inch K-Soft Copper and 1 inch SDR #9 pipe match correctly to the customer’s side of the meter pit with the compression fitting provided. Any substitute materials may require additional cost or fittings by the customer. A 1 inch ball valve is required as soon as the customer service line enters the building. This is to allow the customer to shut off the water should a leak develop in the structure or other repairs or replacements of fixtures need to take place.

New Development or Subdivisions

In all new residential developments and subdivisions, a 1 inch minimum service tap and a 1 inch service line shall be made from the distribution main to the curb stop or meter pit. The customer, builder or developer desiring a tap larger than the 1 inch minimum, when available as a result of pre-planning, shall pay for the existing 1 inch service tap available plus the costs involved for the larger tap and the service main requested.

Changing Existing Service Lines

Any existing residential, commercial or industrial customers, seeking to replace their existing service line and tap, shall bear the full cost of such change or revision, plus any applicable overhead charges.